Hello group,

I am looking for a feature in CA-1, that I wished to be there, but that
is not there as far as I can find. Maybe someone has a good idea.

I am looking at implenting disk-tape conversion for large datasets, i.e.
write them directly to tape i.s.o. to disk. Since we have a VTS, with
more than sufficient virtual units and more than sufficient performance,
we have a potential group of large datasets, that can well be placed on
tape. It has some restrictions of course, like dsorg and parallel
access, but that is no problem.

There is only one issue, that bothers me when the dataset is under CA-1
control i.s.o. SMS control. Under SMS, I can specify, with 'retain days
only backup', how long the last backup should be retained after the
dataset has been expired, scratched or removed in some way. This enables
panic questions "the dataset is correctly expired, but yet I suddenly
need it after one month" to be answered and even sometimes produces
edible or drinkable presents from happy clients.

I am looking for a similar feature under CA-1 control, but I cannot find
it. The extended retention options do not give the same result, the
dataset is available and cataloged, while under SMS it will be
uncataloged and virtually gone. In the CA-1 situation the user can
process the dataset and is not aware of the fact that the data was not
planned to be available, which he/she would have noticed under SMS
control.

Looking through the CA-1 options, I can't find an equivalent of SMS's
'retain days only backup' option. Is there a similar feature in CA-1?

Thanks,

Kees.

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286