On 5/08/2013 6:47 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 12:25:57 -0600, Mark Post wrote:
According to the man page:
The following environment variables may be consulted depending on the value of
the editor and env_editor sudoers settings:
  VISUAL  Invoked by visudo as the editor to use
  EDITOR  Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set
Seemed like a good idea, and that's what the man page I have says, also.
But the program seems not to match the man page; didn't work.  So:

526 $ sudo strings `whence visudo` | grep editor
/usr/bin/editor

527 $ ls -l /usr/bin/editor
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Sep 23  2012 /usr/bin/editor ->
/etc/alternatives/editor

528 $ ls -l /etc/alternatives/editor
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Aug  4 16:23 /etc/alternatives/editor -> /bin/nano

sudo rm /etc/alternatives/editor
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/vim.tiny /etc/alternatives/editor

... works.  Thanks for your encouragement.