Skip,

There was an method posted many years ago that used a lexicon of common
words, and passwords, to encrypt a UID and match it to the value stored in
RACF. Is this what you are referring to?

The OP of that post mentioned this as an auditing tool, but I recall a
lengthy and robust discussion as to whether it was actually an audit tool,
or a crack.

I'm no expert, but I would not count this as a brute force crack as the
scope of the attack would be the size of the lexicon, and how well it
matches the user and/or the community. I think it would be true to say that
lax password standards or enforcement would make this an easier crack.

I'm not enamored of brute force crackers. After five years trying to crack a
word 97 document that I forgot the password to I simply gave up. Not running
continuously, but for weeks at a time.

Ron