On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:02:03 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 08/26/2013   at 04:47 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>It should probably be stressed that EXECIO, unlike most Rexx
>>utilities does not "[substitute] the values of any simple symbols in
>>the tail" as described in 2.4.3,
>
>Unlike? How many REXX utilities[1] do that? Can you name one? If you
>want a symbol in a command treated as a variable, then don't quote it.
>
>[1] Utilities, not keyword statements

I'm most familiar with "address SYSCALL".  Example:

    rexx x=wombat; address syscall 'readfile /etc/services s.x.'; say s.wombat.0

Prints:

    203

That's one.  But, right back at you: how many utilities, other than
EXECIO, can you name that *don't* evaluate simple symbols
appearing in compound tails.  (Answers from other readers are
welcome.)

Are any ISPF/LM services compound symbol-savvy?

-- gil