Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>>You can wish, but big blue wants backward compatibility,

>How is that an obstacle? If they do it, I'm sure that there will be a switch
>to enable the new algorithm and that, once enabled, the new algorithm will
>only be used incrementally.

Agreed, Shmuel. Thanks for your comment. I will be the last person to disagree
with you. ;-D

They have already done that 'switch'. Read the RACF books about choice of
password [1] encryption. But still, they will only do that if backward
compatibility is NOT compromised. If backward compatibility could be
compromised, they will warn you, just like they did with some product features.
You remember that phasing out of ISAM? ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - technically, for RACF, not exactly passwords are encrypted, but userids.
But I used word 'password' to make a point.