On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:38:27 -0500, Barry Merrill wrote:

>Did you have the same fun and games I had with Southwestern Bell, during the
>70s-80, as each time I got a faster modem, I was the first customer with that
>speed, and their engineers had to come out and measure which of my 6 lines was
>sufficiently quiet to be used,

No, but at 110, through an approved DAA, we'd sometimes get a carrier
dropped.  Pick up the handset.  Hear, "We're very sorry sir, but we're
trying to discover the source of this 'interference' we noticed while
monitoring your line for quality."

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:49:03 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>IBM supported mixed-case text well before the TI noisy 700.

Then what went wrong?  Try "ALLOCATE DD(SYSIN) DSN(*) ..."
Where do your lower case characters go?  Why isn't there even
an option to fix it?  ("ALLOCATE DD(SYSIN) DSN(*) ASIS ...")?
And why do some ISPF panels respect mixed-case on the command
line while others fold to upper.  Etc.

-- gil