On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:41:33 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>On 9/16/2013 3:04 PM, Mike Schwab wrote:
>> That sounds like Virtual Tape Libraries and not AIX or Linux disk file
>> systems.
>
>I'm pretty sure the support is intended to access ordinary FBA disk
>files and has nothing whatsoever to do with tape.
>
>Is there even such a thing as FBA tape?

Probably not for z, but open systems have long supported block-addressable
tapes (I used Dectapes on PDP-8 in early 1970s).  Often with pre-formatted
address tracks.

I suspect the intent is that FBA devices will be allocated long-term to a dæmon
(excuse me; I mean STC or FSS or whatever), which will simulate access method
and filesystem interfaces, much as OMVS does for HFS.

-- gil