On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>
wrote:

>On 9/19/2013 1:17 PM, Doug Henry wrote:
>> Obviously Barbara intentionally didn't request any directory blocks.
>> I would expect and I am sure she did also that would produce a JCL
>> error.
>
>I'm conflicted whether this should produce a JCL error. Programmers have
>been using RDJFCB/OPENJ and changing all kinds of things for ages. OPEN
>could test a (new, DD related) bit to see whether a directory build is
>required; it could also default to a one block or one track directory.
>
>In any case, IBM should be persuaded to either produce a JCL error or
>modify the directory build to write an EOF.

Sorry about hitting enter to early on reply.

Of course their are methods to default the number of directory blocks. One that
easily comes to mind is dataclass. But isn't all of this something that occurs
during allocation and open is to late. Unless you create at least one directory
block for a pds , what good is it?

Doug