I added a couple words to your subject line to be more descriptive.

One has to be a little more precise here. Some MESes (Miscellaneous
Equipment Specifications) are available for a very long time. You *can* MES
a z10BC or even still (as I write this) a z9BC. You would MES them to a
zBC12 or z114. Those are MESes, too. In other words, capacity is available
via MES for a very long time, but IBM might have to deliver that capacity
to you in the form of a machine model upgrade. (Which is fine -- that
works, too.)

Past IBM practice has been to offer MESes on an "N-2" basis. That is,
assuming no change to that practice (not guaranteed), you can MES machine
model X to machine model X+2 (two generations forward) as long as hardware
MESes are available for X+2.

Are you asking about MESes *within* a particular model generation? Those
are available for some period of time for machine X after the introduction
of machine X+1. IBM will give ample advance notice of the ordering
deadline. Note my chosen words carefully: ordering deadline. Installation
date can vary a lot. Specifically, Capacity On Demand features may be
ordered and contracted as far ahead as 5 years depending on your country
and other factors.

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com