On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 16:25:23 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>For Enterprise COBOL v4.1 and 4.2, if you are loading the compiler from an
>assembler program and want to override SYSOPTF or DBRMLIB, they are entries
>20 and 21 respectively in the Alternative DD name list.
>
>For Enterprise COBOL v5.1, if you want to override SYSOPTF or DBRMLIB, they
>are reversed at entries 21 and 20 respectively in the Alternative DD name
>list.
>
>C'mon, man!

Dammit!

o When there are so many, they should be keyworded,  not positional!

o And, as I've said before (more than once), this should all be handled
  by ATTACH, and completely transparent to the application!  E.g.:

    ATTACH ...,ALTDD=((SYSOPTF,SYS00042),(DBRMLIB,SYS00043))

  ... the compiler should just OPEN SYSOPTF and DBRMLIB as it always does,
  completely oblivious to the mapping.

-- gil