Phil,

AFAIK, the whole GDG assignment only happens once.. during initial
creation.  MODing will change the size of the data set.. not the GooooVoo
number(s).  With SMS a new GDG entry gets rolled in at step end.

Most everything you need to know is in "Chapter 29. Processing Generation
Data Groups" of the "DFSMS Using Data Sets" book.

The link is
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.zos.r13.idad400%2Fch14.htm

The only thing I didn't see in there is a detailed explanation of the GDG
roll-over when counting past 99999 generations.  There are a couple of old
APARS that go into great detail on how the process works and what to expect.

Rob Schramm

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Consultant
Imperium Group