I'm running SPF/Pro 5.0 on Windows 8.1 without any problems.  For several years
now when I upgrade Windows or switch machines I simply copy the SPFPro
directory over to the new version/machine.  Then I create a shortcut for
SPFPROW.EXE on my desktop.

You do need to open the shortcuts properties and make sure the shortcut tab
shows the proper directory in the 'Start in:' field so it can find its own DLL
files.

I'm not using any compatibility mode setting and it's running just fine.