On 7/11/2013 10:10 AM, Don Poitras wrote:
In article <4212144266386912.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu> you wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:02:48 -0800, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
Does anyone actually run X-Windows on z/OS?? Seems to me GUI things such as the
Explorer tools, the Debug Tool (and other Productivity Tools) GUI, etc., and
even RDz could be well served by being X-Windows client applications.? But what
do I know...

I had xterm (and xlogo) working several years ago.  Today, SSH tunneling
isn't working for me.  I can't justify making its repair a priority for our
admins (my judgment; I haven't requested it).
A while back I discovered a directory of the customary Java GUI demo
applets.  I asked here if anyone had got them to work.  The only answer
tendered here was to serve them with HTTPD and let the desktop
browser client do the rendering.  Not the answer to the question I meant
to ask.
I have some vague recollection that SAS had a GUI remote debugger in
connection with their cross compiler.  And it would seem to be a natural
for the Colesoft tools.
-- gil
We have a GUI debugger, but it runs on Windows (not X11) and was never
sold commercially. Some versions of SAS require X11 for some install
programs. I know some people that actually like to use nedit on zos.
I guess our box is big enough that it works well enough to be an
alternative to things like vi or ISPF. I just tried it out using the
X11 server running on OSX from home and it seems just as peppy as using
any native OSX editor editing a local file.

That's interesting! I remember in the early 2000's Slickedit had an X-11 mainframe port. It was withdrawn from marketing pretty quickly due to poor performance. It was much cheaper (and easier) to just use FTP or mount a network file system. IIRC, one of the big bottlenecks was the context assist tagging engine chomping huge amounts of CPU for auto-completion.

RDz et all use z/OS servers which just serve files which get mapped to directories on the PC. I think this is the way to go. Networks are fast and PC's are cheap.

I've always wondered why I can compile a C++ program on my PC in seconds and it takes minutes on an idle z114?

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/library/IBM+Redbooks/index.html#nedit