On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:09:59 +0000, Martin Packer wrote:

>What do we suppose the intended use cases were for this?

I suspect there was no discernible intent.  More probably, in my
conjecture, prior to the advent of IF, there was a subroutine to
evaluate the COND parameter and determine whether to skip the
step.  As a performance feature that I'd deem gratuitous, that
subroutine was bypassed for the first step.  When IF was provided,
the logical place to add the code appeared to be in that COND
subroutine which is not entered for the first step.

Or, perhaps the intent was to make the behavior of IF consistent
with COND.  ObEmerson.

Much of this could be repaired since the JCL Ref states that the
behavior of unspecified IF constructs is unsupported and subject
to change.  Customers have been forewarned.

-- gil