That terminology morass is the reason for my declaration of terms. When we
started mirroring for DR, we ran ESCON over traditional channel extenders.
We did not think we could tolerate the effects synchronous delays in PPRC.
Now we run FICON over DWDM in a configuration that might be suitable for
PPRC, but we're not anxious to make the change.

Another reason for choosing XRC over PPRC our concern in the early 2000s
that PPRC could guarantee data consistency across multiple DASD
subsystems. I've heard that's no longer an issue, but again, we're not
anxious to make the change.

As for having a running machine at the DR site: if it's truly 'remote' and
not just the other end of the building, you need a CPU to run DR systems.
Our DR box is a single-engine CEC whose only role in life is DR. Because
it runs no business applications, it qualifies for ZNALC licensing, which
makes it very affordable. The box has enough capacity backup on demand
(CBU) to run a full production workload indefinitely. We purchase CBU test
intervals that allow us to turn on CBU for two 10-day periods a year for
full bore testing. In between CBU tests, we are able to perform limited
testing on the DR box without impacting XRC.

The open systems concern is real. We have a lot of open systems that
mirror via their flavor of PPRC. We all share DWDM links, but mirroring
technology is different. If you want only one technology--and especially
if you share DASD subsystems (we don't)--then PPRC is probably your baby.
Unfortunately we have no mainframe experience with it, so my earlier
advice may not be germane.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson