From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 11:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Has anyone measured CPU savings using external SORT's vs internal
(COBOL) SORT's?

The scheme you are considering is---if I understand it---that of

read prepin==>|preprocess|==>write sortin
read sortin==>|external sort|==>write sortout
read sortout==>|postprocess|==>write postout

It involves six i/o operations per record, and it thus has little to
recommend it.

If instead you use Exits 15 and 35 of the external sort, either DFSORT
or SYNCSORT, having the preprocessor hand unsorted records to the
external sort using Exit 15 and the postprocessor take sorted records
back from the external sort at Exit 35, all in one job step, you can
save four of these I/O operations.

This second scheme is in my experience a very muich better one than
the one you are considering.   It gives you all of the benefits of
using the external sort and avoids gratuitous I/O.

Note that the highly efficient i/o operations of SYNCSORT and DFSORT
are their internal ones.  They must and do use access methods to read
sortin and write sortout.  They do of course use these access methods
more efficiently than many/most COBOL programs, but the big i/o
savings are elsewhere.

attachments from your system.