From:   Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   04/12/2013 15:57
Subject:        Re: Has anyone measured CPU savings using external SORT's
vs. internal (COBOL) SORT's?
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On 2 Dec 2013 06:14:42 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Sorry about the late reply.
>
>The last time I seriously looked, the COBOL sort verb invoked the
installation sort (DFsort, SYNCSORT,....).

>The COBOL program effectively became the E15/E35 sort exits.
>
>On that basis, I would not expect any significant difference in CPU time
consumed, *AND* as someone previously noted, a possible significant
increase in elapsed time.

>HTH,
>

><snip>
>It has been suggested to management here that there could be potentially
significant CPU savings from re-engineering application programs such that
any SORT's are done in a separate step, so that a program with a single
internal SORT would be broken up into a pre-SORT process followed by an
external SORT of the massaged data followed by a post-process of the
SORTed data.
></snip>

While the sort products do more efficient I/O than the standard access
methods, this advantage is lost because an extra file may be written
for the sort to read.  In the past the major saving by using stand
alone sorts was due to main memory limitations.  By giving more memory
to the sort the number of intermediate passes could be reduced.  In
today's environment that normally is not a consideration.

Clark Morris

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.