On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:34:37 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>The problem is that there is no way to dynamically create a subdirectory
>via JCL. So I was thinking that a new PATHOPTS might be useful. Something
>like O_MKDIR which would tell the initiator to do the equivalent of a
>"mkdir -p /tmp2/&SYSUID/&JOBNAME" and then create the file in that
>subdirectory.

+1

The "-p" is important, but I wouldn't mind an additional DD statement
to create the directory.

My preference, rather than extending PATHOPTS with a non-POSIX
option, would be to have it a suboption of PATHDISP, which is non-POSIX
anyway, and notionally similar to DISP.

A similar wish for links.  Why is there a DD option to create FIFOs,
but none to create links?

-- gil