David:

I don't know what your profession is , but in 40+ yrs and about 20+ shops, many
in the NYC area and very very aggressive with their applications, including
z/OS, VM and VSE , I never ever had to worry about it ..Give me an example of
such  a concern ?

BTW I have been commercially developing software for 10+ years the other years
with some of the world's biggest companies..

I am trying to understand your point . I see fluff, where's the example, real
world, maybe NASA or JPL or some government IBM software installation, I will
give you that ...

Scott J Ford
Software Engineer
http://www.identityforge.com/

On Sunday, December 8, 2013 5:41 PM, David L. Craig <dlc....@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13Dec08:0942-0800, Charles Mills wrote:

> Hex is not a kind of data. It is a convenient way of
> representing data. X'F1' is a clearer image in most
> cases than 11110001 or 241. All data is potentially
> hex; that is, is representable in hex. That's the
> beauty of hex.

This is the paragraph I took (and still take) exception
to.  Before you assert the S/360 was digitally 100%
binary you need to review all the schematics to ensure
there aren't any non-binary components; e.g., three-state
logic gates.  Such is a question IBM Fellow Amdahl or any
competent CE can address.  But this is an area that even
the microcode could be ignorant of.  A BAL programmer had
better deal with what the POPs document.  If you program
HFP instructions as if your are dealing with IEEE hardware
your results are likely to become problematic at some
point.  At minimum, HFP documents a hexadecimal "kind of
data" and I rest my case.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________