On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:54:16 -0700, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Only if you can place the PROCLIB data set completely on the original TTRs.
>I do not believe this has changed.
>
>You can use dynamic Proclibs (see $TPROCLIB) which are not bothered by the
>same issues as the ones in the JCL of JES2 or Master JCL
>
>If the Proclib is in the JES2 startup JCL then JES2 reads all of the members
>and places the TTRs in storage.

Definitely not true.   How would you ever add or change a PROC with the
system up without bouncing JES2?  Do you think something notifies JES2
of the change?  If so, try a simple test by changing a PROC from another
non sharing system (if you can).  The new (updated) PROC will be found
just fine.

> If you move the proclib dataset, JES2 tries
>to read the TTR location of the member of proclib and if it is not there you
>get the JES2 I/O ERROR ON PROCLIB message.

The extents (DEB) of PROCLIB data set itself is the issue, not the TTR of the
member(s).   BTW, code was added a very long time ago to automatically
close / reopen the PROCLIB after the HASPxxx I/O error message.  The problem
is that you can have many converter subtasks and they all must have the
concatenation closed / opened.  Hence the "PROC99" / flooding "trick" was
born.

Earlier I posted that I thought that "the trick" might not even work when
a PROCLIB was re-allocated / renamed on the same volume.  It's been
a long time since I thought about this so I had to think about it a bit.
There is nothing special about JES2 "keeping track of extents", the problem
is just what I wrote above - there are potentially many converter subtasks
to deal with and each one knows about the extents in the PROCxx
concatenation.

$DPCEDEF will tell you how many converter tasks you have.

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/