On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Scott Ford <scott_j_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Peter,
> I wasn't aware of Cobol SRBs violated IBM licensing. I don't mean to be
> ignorant, by why ?
> Is it a security exposure as you explained or more? Sorry in advance

I think the licensing violation would be if you could cause a "generic"
COBOL program to on a zIIP or zAAP. One company tried to market a product
which would run normal applications on a zAAP (zPrime from NEON - which was
bought by BMC). They no longer do that. Use of a zIIP engine is restricted
to specific code in a special type of SRB enclave. You cannot get a license
to run generic programs in a zIIP SRB enclave (I think that's what it's
called).

Running a COBOL program in a "normal" SRB environment would not violate IBM
licensing. If it were possible, which I doubt, it would violate the
principle of "don't be a jackass". But, as one person once asked: "Why are
there so many more horses' asses than there are horses?"

> Scott ford
> www.identityforge.com
> from my IPAD
>
> 'Infinite wisdom through infinite means'
>

> On Dec 12, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> >> It also looks like ziip and zaap usage
> >> may introduce security exposures
> >
> > Usage of a zAAP or zIIP processor cannot conceivably introduce security
> > exposures.
> >
> > Changing code that was written unauthorized now to run in an authorized
> > environment can. Such a change is not limited to conforming to zIIP
> > requirements.
> >
> > Peter Relson
> > z/OS Core Technology Design

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown