In <1480926979.8195705.1387049432028.javamail.r...@comcast.net>, on
12/14/2013
   at 07:30 PM, DASDBILL2 <dasdbi...@comcast.net> said:

>The SMF EXCP counting code counts all EXCPs but not necessarily
>all I/O requests.  If your wayward job is using the STARTIO
>"access method" or the Media Manager to do its output I/O to tape,

Isn't MM strictly DASD?

>BSAM, QSAM, BPAM, and BDAM all use EXCP

BPAM, BSAM and QSAM for DASD have used EXCPVR since SAM-E.

>so all their I/Os are counted by SMF.

Non sequitor. Even before SAM-E there was chained scheduling; the
access methods update the SMF data to reflect multiple blocks written
under a single EXCP[VR].

>I don't know about VSAM.

The same as with BPAM, BSAM and QSAM; the access method is responsible
for updating the counts. For VSAM, of course, there are no EXCPs, just
I/O through the MM.