efinnel...@aol.com (Ed Finnell) writes:
> IIRC the 360/50's didn't have parity checking CPU buss. Long story short CE
>  told me in early 80's CE overtime dropped 50% with intro of 370' and
> another 50%  when 303x's were withdrawn.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014.html#23 Scary Sysprogs and educating those
'kids'
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014.html#24 Scary Sysprogs and educating those
'kids'
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014.html#27 Hardware failures (was Re: Scary
Sysprogs ...)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014.html#29 Hardware failures (was Re: Scary
Sysprogs ...)

303x's were mostly 370s. they took the integrated channel microcode from
the 370/158 and created the 303x channel director (158 microcode engine
with just the integrated channel microcode and w/o the 370 microcode).

a 3031 was a 370/158 engine with the 370 microcode (and w/o the
integrated channel microcde) and a 2nd (channel director) 370/158 engine
with the integrated channel microcode (and w/o the 370 microcode).

a 3032 was a 370/168 reconfigured to work with channel director

a 3033 started out being 370/168 logic mapped to 20% faster chips ...
some other optimization eventually got it up to about 50% faster than
168.

CE had machine diagnostic service process that required being able to
"scope". The 3081 had chips packaged inside TCM (thermal conduction
module) and couldn't be scoped. To support CE service process, the TCMs
had a bunch of probes connected to a service processor. CEs then had
(bootstrap) diiagnostic service process that could diagnose/scope a
failing service processor ... and then use a working service processor
to diagnose the rest of the machine. TCM
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV2137.html
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Conduction_Module#Mainframes_and_supercomputers

other comments about 3033 & 3081 ... being part of the q&d effort
to get machines back into the product pipeline after the failure
of the Future System effort:
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

the 3090 started out with 4331 running a highly modified version of
release 6 vm370/cms as the service processor (with all the menu screens
done in cms ios3270). This was upgraded to a pair of 4361s (with probes
into TCMs for diagnosing problems). reference to 3092 (service
controller) needing a pair of 3370 fixed-block architecture disks ....
i.e. the system disks for the vm/4361s (aka even for a "pure" MVS
installation ... where MVS never had any 3370/FBA support)
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3090.html

more ... although following says 3090 in 1984 ... but 3090 wasn't
announced until feb 1985 (see above):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Conduction_Module#Mainframes_and_supercomputers

old email mentioning 3092
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#email861031