There's a tab symbol glyph at Unicode point U+21E5. It's a glyph consisting
of a rightwards arrow to a bar. Many keyboards with a Tab key include this
symbol as part of the key label. More information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(symbol)

I missed the first part of the question so I'm not sure where/how this
symbol will be displayed, but I'd display that one if possible. That'd be
my #1 choice.

Failing that, there's a negation symbol (¬) which is arguably a
stylized/abstract version of that tab symbol. That's at code point 95 in
EBCDIC code page 37, for example. A double closing guillemet (») is another
possibility. You can find that at code point 139 in EBCDIC code page 1047,
for example. If these symbols are sufficiently rare/nonexistent within the
context of the information you're presenting you can probably get away with
them, though I like the idea of a footnote.

Does anyone remember what DisplayWrite/370 uses to illustrate an embedded
tab (if anything)? It might be the double closing guillemet or negation
symbol, but perhaps my recollection is mistaken. There was some convention
here that IBM adopted in its various office systems products, but I just
don't remember it since it was a bit before my time. I think it might have
been the » symbol, though. An older IBM CUA publication might provide some
guidance.

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com