In <022c01cf0da5$a7b25180$f716f480$@mcn.org>, on 01/09/2014
   at 05:45 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> said:

>There are several flavors of Unicode, but they relate to how the
>code points are stored in a file or transmitted, not to the
>character set.

Actually, those are transforms rather than different flavors of
Unicode. Unicode does come in distinct numbered versions, but AFAIK a
code point defined in an older version will always be present in the
more recent versions.

>(someone will no doubt correct me with the exact number in use)

That would be a moving target; Unicode does not currently assign all
code points in the BMP, much less the full 20-bit range.

>and you could make the first part of the character set the same as
>ASCII, which would make it intuitive for PC folks who "know" that A
>is X'41'. That is called UTF-8,

UTF-8 uses non-ASCII characters to represent code points higher that
127; UTF-7 uses only ASCII characters. I hpe he's not using UTF-7.