On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:59:25 +0100, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

>second: from the moment on when we terminated to exchange
>files by paper tape, we should have stopped to put tabs into files
>from that same moment on - if not before. My opinion ...

Why?  Where else would you keep them?

>> Regards tabs separating fields in external representations of database
>> records:
>> there are other possibilities. Commas and semicolons are not nice, but it
>> works,

More seriously, if the data fields legitimately contain commas and/or
semicolons, tab is a more useful field separator.  If the data contain
tabs?  Well, that's a good place to apply your argument for avoiding
tabs.  Legibility?  That goes directly back to the OP's question.

-- gil