Because I've used memory objects for so long, I have not had a reason for
IARVSERV. I read both the description in the macro reference and in the
authorized assembler guide and there seems to be a ton of restrictions and
quirks (such as TPROT). The most notable restriction is the sharing limit of
16 pages for an unauthorized address space. However, this limit can be
changed. But because of the ESQA considerations created because the page
tables can map different virtual address for the shared pages, I'm not sure
what would be a practical limit.  It does appear to address guard and to
some extent page protection . It also offers the ability to share 31 bit
storage with 24 bit applications (a key point).

Shared and common memory objects do not have any of  IARVSERV restrictions
and do not change my conclusion that performance is NOT the reason to
convert to a memory object. It's the advanced functionality. One reason I
use a common memory object is so I can avoid using CSA and SQA particularly
for code. With the 16 page restriction it would be impractical to share code
with  IARVSERV. And common data spaces cannot execute code. There are no
limits to the flexibility offered by memory objects. I can share any number
of pages. With shared memory objects I can determine which address spaces
have access and which do not. With common memory I can create my own CSA and
even SQA with some restrictions.

As Jim affirmed, there is probably little if any performance difference
between data spaces and memory objects. Chose the one best suited to your
architecture.

Kenneth