"8. Determine which of John Gilmore's typos are actually typos."  LOLROTF!!!

Richard and Vickie Pinion

--- tonybabo...@icloud.com wrote:

From:         Tony Babonas <tonybabo...@icloud.com>
To:           IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OT: Entry Level System Programmer Job Description
Date:         Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:40:57 -0600

Additional requirements:

1. Define USS in all contexts.
2. Explain the merits and deficiencies of system symbols.
3. Write authorized programs that perform unauthorized functions, and
more importantly vice versa.
4. Create a new linklist, modify it, delete it, create a new one, repeat
5 times.
5. Have a spare copy of Cannatello's book for sale, cheap.
6. Explain the merits and deficiencies of tab characters.
7. Explain the merits and deficiencies of all code pages in the universe.
8. Determine which of John Gilmore's typos are actually typos.
9. Actually like IBM's new reference manuals format.
10. Happily get by on 1 TSO session.
11. Actually use multiple TSO sessions.

On 1/30/2014 11:55 AM, Roberts, John J wrote:
> John P Kalinich wrote:
> 1. Graduated from SHARE Assembler Boot Camp.
> 2. Read and understood the contents of "Advanced Assembler Language and MVS
> Interfaces for IBM Systems and Application Programmers" by Carmine A.
> Cannatello.
> 3. Fluent in z/OS operator commands.
> 4. Can IPL a z/OS system.
>
> IMO, you don't "hire" Entry Level System Programmers.  You hire Entry Level
> System Programmer Trainees.
>
> Anyone who was practicing as an Entry Level System Programmer for any
> significant length of time is now an "Intermediate Level System Programmer".
> If they left the position after just a few months they are a "System
> Programmer Dropout".
>
> To be a System Programmer Trainee, you need to have been:
> (a) A successful Application Developer on the platform, or
> (b) A highly experienced platform Operator.
>
> While I consider myself a skilled ASM developer and I would highly recommend
> this skill for any System Programmer, I know that for many years IMS System
> Programming tasks have been done by people lacking this skill.  Obviously,
> JCL, Utility Program, REXX, and SMP/E skills come before ASM.  Familiarity
> with the diagnostic tools is important as well.  But I know that there are
> many practicing SysProgs that don't know how to read a SYSUDUMP and become
> dependent on ABENDAID as a crutch.
>
> For setting requirements, you also need to consider the environment.  A big
> installation with a whole team of Sysprogs can afford the time to mentor a
> new guy.  But a small shop with only one or two senior people might not be
> able to afford the time to raise the newbie.
>
> John

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.