On 12 Feb 2014 13:59:28 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>If your shop uses an IBM z series computer and it is looking to
>>upgrade to version 5.1 of Enterprise COBOL and it is using Cross
>>System Product (CSP) or its Visual Gen successor, migration may be a
>>problem.  CSP and possibly its successor forced an F zone on all
>>signed fields with positive values leaving the D zone for negative
>>fields.  The elimination of NUMPROC(MIG) means this behavior if still
>>existing can cause problems.
>
>In fact, there is nothing to worry  about, please check before
>raising unnecessary worries.
>
>Enterprise COBOL V5 has exactly the same sign behavior as COBOL V4
>for CSP, VA Gen and EGL COBOL programs.
>In particular, CSP (and EGL COBOL) require NUMPROC(NOPFD), from the
>EGL COBOL help at:
>http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rbdhelp/v8r5m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom
>.ibm.egl.gg.doc%2Ftopics%2Fgegl_cobol_modifybuildscriptszos.html

If other programs that handle files created by CSP (and maybe its
successors) were using NUMPROC(MIG) because it was more efficient than
NUMPROC(NOPFD), then those programs may have to be recompiled with
NUMPROC(NOPFD) because there can be problems.  I ran into that with a
program that for whatever reason did an IF NUMERIC test of a field
that had be affected by CSP and using NUMPROC(PFD) with that program
caused the field to test not numeric.  Recompiling the program in
question with NUMPROC(MIG) solved the problem.  The problem is not the
compiler options used for the COBOL generation of CSP programs, the
problem is the compiler options of the programs that use the output
from CSP programs.

Why was NUMPROC(MIG) eliminated?

Clark Morris