What did the failing command look like? I believe the DEF CL VOL(xxxxxx) caused
a different result due to ACS routine coding.

Did you look up the IDC3009I?

>From the Fine Manual:

80                  Explanation: Define data set with extended format
                       information is not valid for a non-SMS data set.

<quote>"By fluke I resubmitted the job without the VOL parm, DATACLAS &
STORCLAS in the Define Cluster and it worked." </quote>

DEF CL VOL(xxxxx) would only be valid for non-SMS.

Also was the new DATACLAS "EXTENDED" active in SMS?

(SETSMS SCDS(sms scds)

HTH,

<snip>
I was trying to define a VSAM EXTENDED dsn and I encountered the following
error:

IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 48 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLAT-80

I performed the necessary verification -
- Volumes are in SMS
- DSN is in SMS
- Alias was defined in the Catalog
- DATACLASS EXTENDED was built
- SMS rules were updated

I tried all sorts of gyrations.  I coded the DATACLAS and STORCLASS in the jcl
deck to no avail.

I was able to allocate the DSN by using the LIKE parm.   By fluke I resubmitted
the job without the VOL parm, DATACLAS & STORCLAS in the Define Cluster and it
worked.
</snip>