Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>Careful. In Canada the first four digits identify the issuer.

Ooh, do tell - did some Googling but didn't find this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Insurance_Number talks about the first
digit being significant, however.

This still proves the point I believe you were making, i.e., that for SINs,
packed decimal makes it much easier to be able to just check the first four
nybbles (compared to binary). However, I doubt IBM invented packed for Canada
(especially since the SIN was introduced after S/360).

I didn't realize SINs also used Luhns. Interesting!