In:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.gim3000/gim3161.htm

I read:

    Coexistence considerations

SMP/E for z/OS User's Guide
SA23-2277-00

SMP/E releases before V3R5 cannot process the MCS input that is developed
specifically for V3R5, nor can they process data in the SMPCSI data set.
In SMP/E V3R4, if your SOURCEID value meets either of the following conditions,
a message is shown to indicate that your operand contains a value that cannot
be processed by the current release of SMP/E:

    Your SOURCEID value is 9 to 64 characters in length.
    Your SOURCEID value contains a character other than uppercase alphabetic
(A-Z), numeric (0-9), or national (@,#,$).

Is the message mentioned GIM58903W?  If not, which?  (I can't find doc for
SMP/E 3.4.)  Was toleration for long SOURCEIDs introduced by APAR for
earlier than SMP/E 3.5?  Which APAR?  Or does the above apply only when
SMP/E 3.4 attempts to process a long SOURCEID in a CSI that needs upgrade?

How far back, chronologically and in z/OS release, do support and/or toleration
for long SOURCEIDs extend?

(BTW, I was told here lately that there's no limit on number of SOURCEIDs for a
SYSMOD.  But apparently too many can cause operational difficulties:

GIM25903E SMP/E COULD NOT ADD ++ASSIGN SOURCEID sourceid TO SYSMOD ENTRY sysmod
BECAUSE THE NUMBER OF ELEMENTS IN THE ENTRY EXCEEDED THE CURRENT PEMAX VALUE.
Programmer response:

Do the following:
    Increase the PEMAX value in the OPTIONS entry being used.
    Run UCLIN against the global zone SYSMOD entry to add the SOURCEID value.

I.e. apparently there's a workaround.  Probably not a practical concern.)

Thanks,
gil