From: DASDBILL2
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 15:09
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Difference between MVS and z / OS systems

Close.  OS/VS2 was released having been already pre-morphed into SVS and MVS.
SVS was first called OS/VS2 Release 1, was first available in 1974, and that's
when I worked with it.  MVS was first called OS/VS2 Release 2, was first
available slightly later (1975, I think), but I didn't begin working with MVS
until 1977.  VM was also first released around 1975.  Other grand buzzwords
that morphed were "loosely coupled multiprocessing" and "tightly coupled
multiprocessing".  The loose version became shared SPOOL, and the tight version
became simply multiprocessing (several CPUs sharing the same central storage).
And now we have SYSPLEXEs with both loosely and tightly coupled systems
comPLEXly interwoven.  Your date of 1980 for MVS is about the time when MVS's
initially disappointing performance and RAS were greatly improved.

Bill Fairchild