On 18 March 2014 12:00, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> How did the 67 deal with legacy code's use of the sign bit to terminate
> parameter lists?

I doubt that much legacy code ran on such a machine in 32-bit mode.
There would surely be other reasons to run such code only in 24-bit
mode - not least the common use of the entire high byte of an address
to hold flags and such.

> Did it also have a 31-bit mode?  But I suppose most such code was written for
> 24-bit addressing.

It did not have 31-bit mode. PSW bit 4 was the 24/32 switch when in
Extended PSW mode, which in turn was controlled by a Control Register
bit. It's interesting that USASCII mode (bit 12, which became the
BC/EC bit in virtual storage S/370s) was supported in both PSW modes.

But I never actually saw one, let alone worked on it, so I'm just
interpreting the Functional Characteristics.

Tony H.