He might also suggest migrating to COBOL 5.1.   From the migration guide:

The XML function supported by IBM® Enterprise COBOL for z/OS® has been
enhanced:

•The XML GENERATE statement has been extended with new syntax that gives the
programmer more flexibility and control over the form of the XML document that
is generated:
◦The NAME phrase has been added to allow user-supplied element and attribute
names.
◦The TYPE phrase has been added to give the user control of attribute and
element generation.
◦The SUPPRESS phrase has been added to allow suppression of empty attributes
and elements.
•XML parsing support has been enhanced with a special register,
XML-INFORMATION, to easily determine whether the XML content delivered for an
XML event is complete or will be continued on the next event.
•The compatibility-mode COBOL XML parser from the COBOL library is no longer
supported for use by Enterprise COBOL V5 programs. XML PARSE statements in V5
programs always use the XML parser in z/OS XML System Services.

Regards,
Greg Shirey
Ben E. Keith Company