Using the sample utility in the TechDoc would be one solution and I know of
customers that are using it, however that implies a couple of things:
1)  You have to install and maintain the sample code from the TechDoc (i.e. it
is provided 'as is', and for some customers that may not be acceptable)
2)  Your key material will exist, at least briefly, in memory when using those
ISPF panels, so someone who can view memory could capture your key material
3)  And probably most importantly, you need to make sure that the hardcopy of
those key parts that are loaded via the panels are stored securely somewhere.
An attacker will hit the weakest link, which is probably the file cabinet or
drawer where those key parts are stored.  You are paying lots of money for the
secure key technology, probably not so much for the file cabinet.

Another solution might be to simply export your secure keys.  That is, you
could use a key-export-key (KEK) to encrypt a copy of your operational key and
store that encrypted copy in a file somewhere.  Or you could use a public pair
to encrypt a copy of your operational key and again, store that encrypted copy
in a file.  If you accidentally delete the operational key from the keystore
you would decrypt the backup copy from the file using the KEK or the private
key.  With this solution, you could still 'shoot yourself in the foot', but
you'd have to delete both the original key plus the KEK or the public/private
key before you'd be in a bind.

Bottom line, is that while the System z crypto technology provides an
incredible amount of protection for your key material, your operational
procedures are just as important in protecting the crypto infrastructure.  If
you don't have key integrity (knowing that you have the right keys when you
need them) your crypto infrastructure will break down.  I'll also agree that if
you only have a small number of keys, and they don't change very often, then
you don't need a comprehensive key management solution like EKMF or the TKE,
however I would suggest that you need some robust local procedures to manage
those operational keys.

Greg Boyd
IBM Advanced Technical Support
Supporting Crypto on System z