On 24 March 2014 12:03, Bill Godfrey <yak36...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The current thread about reflexivity reminds me of an old program we tested
> in the mid-70's, before NJE, that was called the Iowa Workstation. It was a
> modification from the University of Iowa of the HRTPB360 program that came
> with JES2, that allowed it to run as a task on MVS instead of on an RJE
> station, so the MVS system could appear as an RJE station to another system,
> or to itself. I'm not sure if we ever used it to connect to a separate
> system, certainly not on a regular basis, but we must have tested it by
> connecting it to the same system it was running on, presumably using bisync.
> Maybe someone here will correct me, saying No, that would not be possible
> with bisync.

It was certainly possible; I too did it for testing on VS1 in the mid
1970s, though with my own mods. HRTPB360, btw, is shipped to this day
with z/OS as SYS1.MODGEN(HRTPB360). Hmmm... quite possibly this is the
only piece of z/OS source code that is still shipped and explicitly
marked "COPYRIGHT = NONE". If only the IBM lawyers knew...

Tony H.