Speaking of Metal C, I'm seeing a strange thing just recently. My C input
is a VB 255 PDSE member, and the output is an FB 80 PDSE member. Whenever
an input line exceeds 80 characters, the output assembler "source" has a
bogus line with unprintable characters where the wrapped part of the
original C line should be.

For example, with this input:

int main(int argc, char*
argv[])
{

  int rc;  // this line has a very (though not unreasonably) long comment
going beyond column 80

  return
rc;

}

The relevant section of output has:

* {
000003
*
000004
*   int rc;  // this line has a very (though not unreasonably) long com
000005
         V#  Ê  rgW2
000005
*
000006
*   return rc;
000007
         L     15,@5rc
000007
* }
000008

The junk on the second line 5 varies from one time to the next, but is the
same in a given compile, and always has  the V#. In this case the whole
string is X'E57B0419722A109987E6F2'. It's not only comments; a long line of
actual C does it too. (And yes, I know I didn't set rc. That doesn't affect
the problem.)

This is Metal C '5650ZOS V2.1 z/OS XL C'. I don't remember seeing anything
like this earlier, and I see no APAR hits. Am I about to have a duh! moment?

Could someone else try this snippet?

Tony H.