From a recent experiment:

 READY
allocate dsn('sys1.maclib','sys1.modgen')
 IKJ56700A ENTER FILE NAME -
foo
 READY       allocate dsn('sys1.maclib')

 READY

Empirically, if I allocate a single data set, ALLOCATE generates a
DDNAME; if I allocate multiple data sets, I must supply a DDNAME.
(Have I inferred the rule correctly?)  I find no mention of such a
restriction in TFM:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ikjc500/alloccmd.htm

Is there any plausible rationale for this distinction?

-- gil