First thing to do is check what the result of INREC looks like. Second is
to consider ICETOOL DATASORT to avoid sorting the header / trailer (or
else use OUTFIL to recreate them.

Cheers, Martin

From:   "Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh"
<vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Date:   16/04/2014 10:11
Subject:        Sorting CSV data that begins with an IP address
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

Hello,

I need help sorting some 5000 lines based on the first entry in a CSV - IP
address. When sorting, I need the whole record to be involved in the sort,
not just the IP's.

Sample data:

IP,MAC,Make-Model,SEPINFO,Type,Ping,Status,Printer,GRPNAME Warehouse
#,Warehouse Name,Warehouse Terminal,Warehouse Code, Warehouse CICS
xx.yyy.zz.aaa,Unknown,Unknown,OKI,Report,NOT Ok,Unknown,abcd,Not Defined
xx.yyy.zzz.a,Unknown,Unknown,Not Defined,Report,NOT Ok,Unknown,efgh,Not
Defined
xx.yy.zzz.aaa,bb:cc:dd:ee:ff:gg,ZTC GK420d,Not
Defined,Report,Ok,Online,qwer,WHW

Xx doesn't mean the same digit; just clearing out data. I require the sort
to work for any IP address, be it 1 or 2 or 3 characters per octet.

I'm working with this, and I haven't a clue on each of these keywords. If
you guys were so kind as to help me with the SYSIN, I could save an hour
or two of reading syntax rules.

INREC IFTHEN=(WHEN=INIT,
  PARSE=(%01=(ENDBEFR=C'.',FIXLEN=3),
         %02=(ENDBEFR=C'.',FIXLEN=3),
         %03=(ENDBEFR=C'.',FIXLEN=3),
         %04=(FIXLEN=3)),
  OVERLAY=(81:%01,%02,%03,%04))
SORT FORMAT=UFF,FIELDS=(81,3,A,84,3,A,87,3,A,90,3,A)
OUTREC BUILD=(1,133)

Thanks in advance.

- Vignesh
Mainframe Admin

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us
know and then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose,
or distribute its contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail,
as this is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.