From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: FDRCOPY Support for zFS Quiesce

For those that love FDR like I do, you may have seen a complaint of mine in the
past that there was no support for zFS quiesce.  Even though the interface was
the exact same as for HFS, FDR must have been checking
the file type and not not quiescing zFS.    My cloning jobs had a zfsadm
quiesce step prior to cloning the zFS files and and post unquiesce step.

Well, that is no longer a concern.  At FDR 5.4 level 78, support was quietly
added for "ZFS=QUIESCE" to the copy command (I skipped from lvl 76
to lvl 80 in prep for z/OS 2.1).   Whether you specify HFS=QUIESCE or
ZFS=QUIESCE, the functionality is the same and both HFS and ZFS will be
quiesced when you copy them (I tested this, because it wasn't clear to me that
was the case).

Thank you Innovation!   I've been waiting years for this (DFDSS has
had this support for a long time).

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified