I do not remember that IBM has ever characterized its defaults as
'optimal', whatever that may mean without context.  What it does try
to do---with, I think, reasonable success---is to provide defaults
that are innocuous in the sense that they do not give trouble for most
jobs most of the time.

Reflexive IBM bashing is not helpful in this or any other context.
Moreover, as I have already tried to make clear, the function of a
global default is not to be optimal; it is to be minimally
troublesome.  For this purpose the 2G IBM default is often a
reasonable one, and even when it is not it is a reasonable starting
place for the determination of a better value.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA