From:   Norbert Friemel <nf.ibmm...@web.de>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   04/17/2014 04:25 PM
Subject:        Re: Extended Addressibility (was: ZFS - Allocation
Failure)
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:38:12 +0000, DASDBILL2 wrote:

>Extended Addressability refers to an attribute of a data set that allows
the data set to contain more then 4GB of data.
>Extended Format refers to each DASD block's having some extra bytes,
called a suffix, added to the end of each data block, and this can
happen with data sets that contain fewer than 4GB of data.
>EAV stands for Extended Addressability Volumes and refers to an attribute
of a volume that allows it to have more than 65,536 (approximately)
cylinders on it, regardless of what kinds of data sets are stored there or
how large they are.

>These three buzzphrases all have the  word "extended" in them, and two of
them also have the word "addressability" in them, but they are three
different concepts.

EATTR JCL/Data Class-Parameter:
A data set with *extended* attributes (format 8 and 9 DSCBs) can reside in
the *extended* address space (EAS) on an *extended* address volume (EAV).

(EATTR was not available on MVS/eXtended Architecture ;-)

Norbert Friemel