On 19 Apr 2014 08:00:49 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>No, IBM is not an ISV, as hopefully you know, Mr. Morris.
>
>Lately, I seem to have been casting myself in the role of a defender
>of IBM.  That is not my wont, and IBM can anyway defend itself.  I
>have, however, grown tired, very tired of cheap shots like this one.
>Easy to dismiss out of hand, they dilute the effects of responsible
>criticism.

If RDz is the major GUI development environment by IBM equivalent to
the IDEs for other languages in other environments and COBOL is
considered a major language on z, then it is NOT a cheap shot to ask
if it is a responsible act for the IBM product RDz not to have day 1
support for COBOL V5.  I used the word vendor, not ISV.  IBM is a
vendor and this illustrates the right hand not talking to the left
hand.

Frankly I agree with Pete Dashwood who posts on comp.lang.cobol when
he says COBOL is dying, though not with quite the same analysis of the
situation that he provides.  This is especially true in the Windows
and Unix areas where file organizations that were basic for both IBM
and the BUNCH are not provided (direct and keyed).  On the z series,
it is items like this that lend credence to this belief.

Clark Morris