scott_j_f...@yahoo.com (Scott Ford) writes:
> Werent they developed at La Gaude ? I was there in the 90s
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014f.htm#49 Beyond the EC12

4341 was being done in Endicott, maybe thinking about (slower) 4331
that was being done in Europe (Boeblingen) on 4361 (4331 followon)
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP4331.html

Date: 08/26/82 12:00:34
From: wheeler

to be fair, Endicott has a faster 4341mp that they won't get to
announce. POK has strapped back a 3081 to create a slowdown'ed 3083
and I expect that Endicott is now under POK's thumb, they will not be
allowed to do anything more in that area ... 4341 frame was engineered
to hold two CPUs and 16meg of 32k OEM chips (in case IBM tried to
screw them on deliveries of IBM 64k chips). The E7 would only be a
little slower than the 3083. Also it is not clear from some of the
high I/O benchmark reports whether or not the 3081 technology with
high I/O rates & high task switch rates (lots of cycle stealing &
lower cache hit ratios) is faster than a 3033.

... snip ...

other past 4300 email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#43xx

3033 was by POK 168 group ... mapping 168 logic to 20% faster chips
from FS, at the same time 3081 was being done by different group

As soon as 3033 is out the door, that group starts on 3090 (in
parallel with the 308x efforts).

I've mentioned before cluster of (original) 4341 had more aggregate
processing power than 3033, more aggregate memory than 3033, more
aggregate I/O than 3033, lower cost than 3033, and much lower space &
environmental footprint than 3033. At one point, head of POK getting
allocation of critical 4341 manufacturing component cut in half (as
way of dealing with 4341 competition). With minor tweak, 4341 channels
handle datastreaming 3mbytes/sec. By the time, 3083 is coming out the
door, Endicott has faster 4341.

3083
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3083.html
3081
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3081.html
3081
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3081

recent slightly related 370xa/3081 folklore ... or how I got to spend
3hrs being interviewed by FBI agent (recent linkedin discussion about
two bldgs crammed full of old 360&370 systems have been found)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014f.html#27 Complete 360 and 370 systems found

308x channels are slow and have lots of issues:

Date: 09/17/82 10:40:29
From: wheeler

Talking to a GPD engineer he says that IBM has not technical talent to
come out with another control unit. As an example, he said that when
he joined the group out here, there were at least 10-12 people in his
area alone that understood the channel interface ... he thinks that
there might be one such person now in the whole GPD division ... the
rest have left the company. I've heard what sounds like contigency
projects on the east coast with channel development that completely
bypass control units and connects directly to drives. .... I was in
meetings all day yesterday, but one time I stopped by my office two
people down the hall were talking about head crash on 3380 and now
might be a good time to sell all your IBM stock. SJRLVM1 took head
crash on customer ship level of 3380s yesterday and they replaced the
HDAs last night in the box. ... Performance numbers for the 3084 seem
to have some liberties. 4-way should have three times the performance
interferance that a 2-way (cache invalidation signals from 3 other
processors instead of one). They cheat with the 3083 versis 3081. for
example, on a 158ap, running a UP generated system ... the processor
runs 10% slower if the switch on the machine is in AP-mode rather than
UP-mode (additional delay in each machine cycle just to listen for
cache invalidation signals from the other processor ... this is w/o
the other processor even executing anything generating storage
alterations & cache invalidation signals). For 3083 the machine cycle
invalidation listening delay was left in the machine. I've heard that
the 3084 numbers are somewhat selected benchmarks that do minimal
storage alterations ... extensive storage alteration programs can have
disastrous effects on 3084 performance. ... I've been told that almost
every control unit that has attached to a 308x has had to undergo
hardware ECs ... apparently it was easier for every control unit
hardware group in the company (even on machines no longer with
development group people available) to resolve the problems than for
the 308x channels. Also did you see the message that ACP runs 20%
slower on a 3081d than on a 3033. On a 3081k, ACP runs 5% faster than
a 3033. POK is started a special 3081k CPU program where the 3081s
coming down the line will be tested to see if they can run with their
clock cranked down. If they pass, they will be special high
performance 3081Ks which run slightly faster than normal 3081ks.

... snip ...

Note that there was some early 3380 quality problems with "sticktion"
that required crash effort to resolve.

There was problem in the 70s with lots of senior disk engineers (that
understood the channel interface) leaving for startups. That was also
the explanation that they gave me about increasingly insisting that I
sit in on conference calls with POK channel engineers ... another one
of the ways I was being ask to play disk engineer ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk