From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 7:02 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: non-IBM: SONY new tape storage - 185 Terabytes on a tape.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht <
elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:

> John McKown wrote:
>

> http://www.itworld.com/storage/416783/sony-develops-tape-tech-could-le
> ad-185-tb-cartridges
>
> Hmmm , interesting, but the webpage is slooooow.
>
> >Just how long would it take to _find and restore_ an individual file
> backed up on such a monster? Or even just do a backup to it? What good
> is it, unless there is some I/O channel fast enough to do backup and
> restores which utilize at least most of the tape?
>
> I quickly looked at Sony's LTO tape drives (PetaSite) which uses IBM
> LTO specifications. Nice expensive things, but nothing, absolute
> nothing is written about transfer rates unless I missed it somewhere.
>
> >Or am I, once again, missing something?
>
> What if the tape itself is broken or teared? Granted, it is years ago
> I encountered a teared tape, but ...

Good point! We had a 3592J tape cart tear just last year. What was especially
bad is that it was a 3494 VTS back store tape. So by losing this one physical
tape, we lost about 50 virtual 3490 volumes. We were very lucky that the tape
was not full and that the virtual volumes lost contained mainly test data. I
had argued at the time of installation that we should separate VTS virtual
volumes by "environment" with each "environment" having its own set of back
store tapes. And then duplexing the back store tapes which contained production
data. I was shot down in flames because: (1) 3592J tapes are _expensive_ and
duplexing would not be "cost effective"; and (2) it's too difficult to set up!
(by the storage admin at the time).

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown