>Yes, it does the encryption (and more important - the negotiation) without the
>z/OS application having to be aware, though the app can be if it wants to.
[snip]

Trying to summarize what I understand so far.
An SSL capable application does all the handshake and en/decryption stuff  by
itself. If  one end does *not* know how to  talk "SSL", AT/TLS can jump in and
do the handshake and en/decryption on the "non-SSL". On the "SSL" end, then the
traffic will be passed on to the application unchanged, i.e. encrypted.
I'll have to read about this in the appropriate doc.

--
Peter Hunkeler