I have seen where an ALTER NAME was done but the user forgot the DATA and
INDEX components.  So the CLUSTER was the new name but the DATA and INDEX
were still the old name.

If you have a product like FILEAID or VANTAGE, you might be able to see if
that was done.

Just some questions.

Is the catalog shared or unique?

Are the datasets on different volumes - is one cataloged and the other not
cataloged?

Are you sure the one on the other volumes are not used?

Do a LISTC ENT('myvsamfile') ALL

Review the list of volsers it is on.  Make sure you have a unique
uncataloged VSAM dataset.

If everything is good, then move all the good datasets off of the volume to
another volume - leaving the VSAM Data/Index where it is.

Then just init the volume.  If it is not cataloged, then you will be safe.

I would go into ISPF 3.4 and put in the VSAM file and VOLSER in the panel.

Then when you bring it up, to a LISTC ENT(/) ALL and see if maybe there is a
mismatch between some other cluster and that DATA/INDEX

Lizette