From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Where are the allocation messages of a USS process?

On 13 May 2014 12:08, Farley, Peter x23353 <peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:
> Perhaps because (at that link which Kirk posted) there is this note:
>
> "Messages that would normally go to the JESYSMSG data set are captured, but
> messages that go to JESMSGLG are not captured."
>
> Allocation messages go to JESMSGLG, and so it would seem are not captured.
> One wonders which bit-bucket they disappear into.

I think this is backwards, at least if using the SDSF terminology.
What SDSF calls JESYSMSG contains allocation messages (IGD and IEF),
while JESMSGLOG is the JESn-captured extract of WTOs written to the
system SYSLOG. JESYSMSG also contains *some* application program WTOs,
but I haven't put the effort into figuring out which ones. Maybe it's
as simple as those with ROUTCDE 11.

I've thought about a WTO exit of one sort or another that would
capture WTOs from BPXAS processes, and write them to the JES log of
their parent process. Of course the parent may have gone away, and
there are various other problems, but it should be doable. At least
they are already available in the system-wide SYSLOG, but things like
allocation messages do indeed seem to go into a bit-bucket.

Tony H.

attachments from your system.