Skip:

Our IBM SE (30+ years ago) wrote an orange manual (how many remember those?), About blocksize and tape. It pretty much said that use of a 32K blocksize as optimum for channel and tape utilization (this was 6250 BPI IIRC). Jim (our SE has retired) after serving time at the WSC and out in San Jose. But through the years the best thruput as to always code 32K for job where performance is needed. Of course with new technology I expect that the device that can handle 256K blocksize be used. I have often disliked the DFDSS manuals for not being straight forward in their documentation. I don't think DFSMS does the right thing with blksize=0 for tape, my memory is obsolete here but it used to be 16K when blocksize eq zero is used.

Ed